Wednesday 9 March 2016

Friday 4th December (Rent Scene Developments)

Today we looked at some scenes that we felt lacked energy and fluidity, I felt that the scene that needs the most work is Happy New Year B. In this we have just got into the flat after breaking in, to find all of the furniture and belongings have been taken, by Benny. I think we need to remember to stay active, it helps us to interact more and creates a more hectic atmosphere. I am going to work on this by doing Units & Objectives, to give myself more than just my lines to think about. This will improve my characterisation in that I will be interacting with the right characters better and showing the right emotions (anger, fear, defensiveness and sorrow). For example I will show anger towards Benny from the line 'you came onto me', and be defensive towards Roger at this point as he is finding out that Mimi went to visit her ex-boyfriend Benny without telling him. This will also give me motives, walking with purpose will give me more of a confident look and will help to remember blocking, which related to my knowledge of the spacing, it is difficult to remember where in the space the flat is. Due to our theatrical conventions, the flat is one strip down the middle of the stage with no physical indication of where it is. Units & Objectives will help me to stay in this space. I am exploring my proxemics by being close to Roger at the beginning of the song, because we are still happy and affectionate, like in the previous song Happy New Year A. I will stay close to the entrance of the flat as this is where Mimi is first seen in the flat during Light My Candle. I also feel that as a character she can be shy and would be nervous if something were to go wrong, therefore subconsciously remaining by the door she came in through.

We then looked at all the scenes in the show that are set in the flat, and allocated ourselves two scenes in pairs to look at and come up with some ideas. I got Another Day, with James, and Finale A&B with Paige. This way we got through a lot of scenes with everyone's own input and interpretation in a quick effective way.
Paige and I decided that in the Finale, the others that are crowding around Mimi, are going to use levels to show a difference in tension, using the seven states of tension. We want to use a spotlight on Mimi and Roger together on the floor or bed as she is dying, showing a contrast between that and the rest of the stage space. This isolation will mainly be during Your Eyes and before she dies. As for the second part of the finale, following Your Eyes, we want everyone to remain still in their leveled positions, and slowly raise to face the screen showing Marks documentary that we shot.

For Another Day, it was really useful to be working with James as it is our song together and we could physically try things out and discuss our interactions and separate characterisation. We want this song to be aggressive on both sides, to show the tension that relationships can bring. James is going to show dismissive movements to Mimi's desperate optimistic vocals and posture. We also want this song to be very high energy, to follow Out Tonight, we will do this by using all of the space, pacing around with as much energy as possible. Mimi chasing Roger.
From this lesson I gained a better understanding of some of my songs, and the set. I now know more about the kind of blocking I am going to use in the flat scenes and how to use and interact with the set/staging.

No comments:

Post a Comment