Monday 30 November 2015

Friday 16th October (Rent Run Through Page 1-Out Tonight)

In this lesson we did a full run of scenes 1-6, with both casts so that we all had a chance to perform professionally for the first time in the space. I found this really helpful because I have not had the chance to fully run my songs properly yet. I was off cast at first which gave me the opportunity to get used to the space before being my main character. My homeless person characterisation mostly involved slow movements and hunched posture to show that I was cold and timid, and acted violently in a petty fashion to show I was defencive when people interacted with me. When I played Mimi I experimented with proxemics by being closer to Roger at times and acting as if I was 'playing hard to get' by being more affectionate with other characters. As Mimi I tried to stray more towards to rougher end of our staging, according to our theatrical conventions the side with the tree and screen is where most of the homeless characters will be compared to the other side.

Feedback-
  • Rent needs more movement
The song Rent at the beginning needs more movement because it is supposed to be high energy and full of action, we want to capture the New York vibe in just this song which means we have to have a lot of people moving quickly on stage, or give that illusion. I have suggested w have some slower sections to show the less privileged parts, I feel we need as much violence as we can get considering what happens to Collins during his part of the song.

  • Transitions need improvement
The transitions in our piece lack the energy that the actual scenes have, we need to figure out a way to develop the scenes between songs so that they fit better. One person suggested we used city sounds to divide between locations, I think we could add some stylised pedestrian movement to maintain the busy vibe we were aiming for in the first song.

  • Out Tonight
When  performing Out Tonight I felt quite awkward because I didn't really know what I was doing and we didn't have the scaffolding we will for the show. We have decided we will do units and objectives to help us have more purpose when singing. Rachel suggested that we get in the audiences space a bit when we sing this song, Mimi is a drug addict and lack some of the social norms sometimes in these situations and we need to show that and clearly as possible. This will be a challenge as we are breaking the fourth wall and in the rest of the show I can't do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment