Tuesday 10 November 2015

Friday 9th October (Rent Run Through Page 1-28)

In this lesson we ran through the first half of the first act of the show. In this I have to sing Rent, Light My Candle, Life Support and Out Tonight. Overall the run was very successful and songs that I had not sung with an audience before went well. The opening song Rent needs improvement, this run proved that we need a lot more energy on stage and more movement with more people, it is a bad start to a show that has a lot of energy and the lyrics in the song are punchy and bold, the atmosphere and movements need to match this otherwise it will look wrong and not make sense. After this I was just using stylized pedestrian movement on the streets and I walked slowly off stage in unison with everyone else during the beginning of One Song Glory, to prepare for Light My Candle. Walking off during One Song Glory was an idea of mine so that I will have time to prepare for Light My Candle back stage, before this we had no other way to walk off stage to be able to get into the flat in the right way according to our theatrical conventions of going backstage to get up high on the staging block at the entrance of the apartment then going down the side to enter properly. The song Light My Candle went well but we struggled with the new backing track as it was different to what we had used before, our blocking was much better than previously though. The Life Support song was successful, I would not normally be a part of it when I am playing Mimi but some people were in other rehearsals so I had to step in to make up numbers, I am glad I was allowed to though as I needed to rehearse this. Next was Out Tonight, which actually interrupts Life Support and I wasn't expecting to have to sing it so I wasn't prepared and hadn't warmed up my voice enough. Because of the spacing and situation I could not do the chair (pole) choreography that we had worked on last week. These things aside I feel I did very well, I hit all the notes and felt very confident with it; this has given me confidence for future performances and rehearsals. Doing regular mini performances to my class in rehearsals is really helpful, it makes me much more comfortable with my peers and also helps them to help me if I need it and it builds my confidence massively.
At the end of the lesson we wrote down what we feel we need to improve on, what went well in this lesson, things that we can work on in the next lesson and we organised some out of lesson rehearsal times with any people we have group or duet songs with.
Improvements- 
  • Opening song- confidence with choreography and spacing
  • Blocking of Out Tonight
  • Knowledge of staging layout
  • Light My Candle blocking

What Went Well-
  • Out Tonight lyrics/notes
  • Knowledge of overall blocking
  • Light My Candle singing
Things to Improve On Next Lesson-
  • Off cast characterisation
  • Life Support singing
  • Consistent characterisation
To finish this lesson we organised out of lesson singing rehearsals with people we have duets or group songs with, I am going to rehearse with James next week. This will be helpful because we will have time to focus on things like timing and harmonies without feeling we have to move on quickly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment