Tuesday 10 November 2015

Thursday 15th October (Rent Singing)

This lesson was dedicated to singing some of the major group numbers in the show, we worked on Rent and Will I. To begin with we looked at rent, as we have only ever sung this with a backing track which is going to be different to our live band in the final performances. We sang through Rent with the piano and realized it needed work. We appropriately split into groups according to the script, for example near the end of the song Roger sings some lines with one half of the cast and Mark sings with the other which transitions into everyone singing together but with the boys singing the lower melody and the girls singing the same but on a higher octave. We stood in these groups best we could so that we could get used to signing together and we could listen to each other as we sing. This was really helpful as I don't usually sing the higher octave because my voice is stronger on the lower one and it was therefore  a challenge for me, someone suggested that some of the girls sing the lower octave because there are so many more girls in the cast and that the higher notes overpower the lower ones. This gave me confidence because I know that I can sing the lower notes for now and when I become more comfortable with more rehearsals and development I can sing the higher notes when it comes to the final performances. After this we ran through the song once more and some of us struggled with the groups, so we had the idea to just have boys and girls instead. I didn't agree with this and when we sang it through I raised the point that it sounds too feminine and loud then manly and quiet. Therefore we returned to our original groups and decided that that worked the best.

In the second half of the lesson we looked at Will I, this song is difficult as it is in the round and each group sings a different octave or harmony. Previously some of us got together and sorted our groups, who is in them and the octave they will sing at. This was very difficult ad there was only six of us and we didn't know who would prefer to sing what or who would be more comfortable, there is also the complication of double casting because some people won't be able to be there for parts of it or not be able to be seen in the character that they are. We organised ourselves into these groups and sang it through roughly with a backing track we had found. This was successful but we needed to work on the solo as Dannii wasn't feeling confident with it so she had worked out her own harmony that she was much more confident with and wanted someone to sing the melody with her. I volunteered because I feel I can help Dannii with her confidence as I was in a similar position to her last year in that I knew I had the talent to sing my solo but I wasn't used to singing in front of many people or having the confidence to do so. We worked on this with the piano a few times before running it with the whole class. This was successful as it was all in time and the harmonies worked really well. Next we wanted to play around with the volumes and dynamics of the song. We decided that once every group was singing, we would crescendo before one person per group keeps singing at this volume and everyone else in the group would sing quieter to highlight this one person. I was chosen as one of the singers as it was originally Charley, however she will not be able to sing it when she is on cast so we will swap around. I did not have a chance to practise this but I think it sounded really good and in sync, it flowed well and added something special to an emotional song. This song already contrasts to a lot of the other fast paced songs and because we have worked on it in such depth it will be very memorable and effective when it comes to getting the audience emotionally involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment