Monday 29 February 2016

Friday 23rd October (Rent Singing Developments)

My targets for this lesson were to develop and work on the songs 'I Should Tell You', 'Another Day' and consider some harmonies in any duets I have with James. We haven't run any of our songs with Kim properly yet as we have been using a backing track, which would be different to our final performances.
After warming up we sang through Another Day with Kim and the piano, this gave me a better idea of the timing and allowed me to sing in a way that was comfortable for my voice instead of a recording. Both Charley and I received similar feedback from Kim- we both  need to look at the dynamics of the song and make sure we push out notes out from our chest voices. I decided to mark on my script where I want to sing quieter and louder, and where I change from my head voice to chest voice. This was really useful as I was just coming off using my script, I used these notes to create a more interesting performance of the song and use and push the ability of my voice. This also allowed me to explore the narrative of the song and use my emotions as an actor through my voice. I also need to take strategic breaths, This helped me massively to use my chest voice. It allowed me to remember to belt some notes out and my voice to remain steady.
I found that I sometimes sing some notes flat when changing from my head voice to chest voice, and that i need to push above the notes not up to them. This really gave me a better idea of how my voice works and how I can independently improve in the future.
After this James and I performed Another Day to Rachel and my feedback was very positive. She and Sophie both said that I have gained a lot of confidence and stage presence, and that if I continue to work this way making this much improvement, then I will be very successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment