Thursday 8 October 2015

Friday 25th September (Rent Speed Runs)

In this lesson we wanted to look at the plot of Rent, to do this we were split up into our casts, with non double casted parts evenly divided up into both. In these groups we did speed runs, one group doing the first act and the other group doing the second act. I had to do the second act, so we read it through and picked out the most important things that happen in it and created a way to demonstrate that visually and through important dialogue. We tried to be our characters as much as possible but because we didn't have every character in each group some people had to multi role.
I feel my group was successful because we included every important aspect of the narrative in the show, and we included every song efficiently and smoothly.





From this, many aspects of the show were a lot clearer to me-

  • Order of songs
  • What people and characters are in each scene
  • When I am on stage
  • The layout of the staging
  • Spacial awareness
  • Narrative of the play
  • Meanings of the songs
Doing a speedrun of the second act helped me because I now understand the order of the songs and when I am on stage a lot better. I also know the staging and rhe layout of the spacing, this helps me top be much more aware and confident when blocking my scenes. I feel a lot more prepared about my character interactions and with my general knowledge of the play.


Theatrical Conventions: A rule you make for your own show that you must abide by throughout rehearsals and performance
Immersive: Involving or encouraging the audience into the set/action/performance space
Fourth Wall: The 'wall' at the front of the stage that divides the actors from the audience, in our show we are breaking that and not having 'walls'
Traverse: Having the audience on either side of the actors on stage
In The Round: Having the audience surrounding the actors on stage
This is a diagram of the layout of our staging- 

No comments:

Post a Comment