Tuesday 22 September 2015

Rent And West Side Story Audition

For my audition for Rent and West Side Story I prepared two songs, Somewhere from West Side Story and Out Tonight from Rent. I feel I sang Out Tonight well, I had lots of energy and moved around the performance space with appropriate hand an bodily gestures. I had a clear voice and projected it well throughout the theatre,  I had a straight upright posture to help with my singing and keep professional.I didn't have to sing as much of the song Somewhere as I was expecting to, I only had to sing the first verse. This made me think I wasn't wanted for West Side Story as much. I then was asked to sing Will You Light My Candle from Rent, which caught me off guard because I hadn't prepared this properly, however luckily I do know the song quite well. From this I will now, if there are song options to choose from, Learn and prepare all of them just in case I am asked to sing more. I forgot some of the lyrics from this song so I had to stop and move on to my interview. I wasn't asked as many questions as I expected, I said what character I wanted to play, in this case it was Mimi Marquez from Rent. I explained that I thought her character was afraid to show feminine characteristics because she feels it makes her vulnerable. I feel I can connect with the character in that from my personal experienced and continued to explain that I had never had the chance to show all of my singing abilities and I really want to be able to express my confidence and performance energy that I had developed over my previous year on the course.
Upon reflection, I'm happy with my audition, being asked to sing an extra song that Mimi sings gave me confidence of getting the part I want and compared to my audition last year, I have made huge improvements in my singing, stage presence and general confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment